[Written] Ga'Vin Background Info

View previous topic View next topic Go down

[Written] Ga'Vin Background Info

Post  Taki on Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:23 am

This was shared with me in draft form several years ago, and while I got permission to share it with one other player, I'm not sure how much of it was spread around in-game. Wayne wrote it, and I'm not sure if he ever edited it further or added to it after I received it.

Ga’Vin

Though little has been learned over the centuries during which Silverthorne has shared a disputed border with the Ga’Vin, they remain perhaps one of the strongest military powers within the Kingdom. The lands they claim for themselves are entirely encompassed now by the Kingdom of Silverthorne, making for intense conflicts for resources on both sides. On rare occasions a human proves himself worthy for survival among this people dwelling within the Ari’I forest, but never does he come back unchanged.
-Veers

Report submitted by Nosh “the Blistered” Ourangeau, humble and faithful servant of house Toevass.

As dictated by great uncle Grundulek, sage and lore keeper of the Ga’Vin

I find it strange that you show a curiosity for my people. In all Phantera no influential race is so looked down upon, nor scapegoat more often…none more victimized nor more misunderstood than my people. We’re branded half-goblins, green skins. You think us evil, uneducated, poor and savage. These things anger my proud ancestors. We’re the first born of Phantera, her first and favorite children. We are half nothing, so bite your idiot tongue and never disgrace me by association with the ignorant green skinned savages whose manner and custom you confuse with my own.

What you young races mistake for evil, stupidity, poverty, and cruelty is a misconception made by shortsighted, haughty, and mistaken young races. How dare you question we who have always been? My people invented war and raised it to an art…foolish dwarves. We outlived the first races. The Ga’Vin survived the sundering; even today we thrive in places you younger races never knew existed. So speak not of our savage lives, we will not hear you condescending elves, for you will fall just as those before you did and the Ga’Vin will go ever on.

I am not so foolish as not to recognize that all young races are jealous of my people. You resent having been conquered by us in the past. No elf can remember when the Great War Machine crushed all on Phantera, but still you hold your ancestors scorn of your past defeats. Your frail minds compensate by seeing us as servants, but history remembers that it was you that served us. So it was…

All things exist in a cycle. We have always been so we will always be. Young races be forewarned, you were once created and so you shall be destroyed. My people remain ever safe away from the eyes of the young ones. You only know of the Ari’I, those left behind, but my people forget us not. It is the Ari’i’s time to endure, their time of trial if you will. Only through struggle will we prove our worthiness. Those who now thrive without struggle, those who put us to tests of humility and servitude, you who scapegoat my people, be warned - We are Phantera’s first and favorite, and the Ari’I which you see as a dying race are not. They are the survivors whom you could not destroy. Now they patiently wait and endure… a lesson that no other race understands as well as my own.

A HISTORY

My people, ever known in the ancient tongue as the Ga’vin are an ancient and proud people who’s origins date back before the first elf or dwarf was alive to tell stories. Our creation is one of the first histories taught to those who would be lore keepers for our people. Our stories tell of the origins of three races, of the first peoples.

As all Ga’Vin children are taught, Phanterra is a magical land which emanates magic as an Orc emanates stench. Before there were peoples to utilize this magic the land was a barren waste surrounded by a dead sea. These energies grew and stewed until it had to manifest in physical form. The result was an earth-shaping and life giving storm which left the plants and animals of Phanterra strewn in its wake. The land was torn apart and the seas were shaken to life, giving birth to waves and tides. When lightning struck the empty sky, Aven flew. When it struck the ocean Azerai appeared, and when lightning struck the earth itself the Ari’i rose from the Ground.

The great magic storm raged for three years and when it finally ended, the separate races crawled out from whatever shelter they had found and set about exploring their new home. Each was born with the knowledge of a common language, the ancient tongue. All three races gathered with their own kind and explored Phanterra, but each reacted to Phanterra differently.

The Aven flew high above Phanterra, roaming far and wide. They perched only to rest and spoke only to other Aven. They became aloof, thinking themselves above all on Phanterra, but otherwise did nothing productive and mated only occasionally, thinking nothing of the future of their race.
The Azerai for whom the magic was as natural as speaking, sought to shape the world to their whimsy. They used their magic to provide themselves with creature comforts and in their way became as detached from Phanterra as the Aven. The Azerai treated magic as a trivial matter, taking it for granted so they could live in comfort and wealth.

The Ari’i, born of the earth, treated her with respect as a child would treat their mother. They sought not to detach themselves from Phanterra or bend her to their will. They sought to live with her and learn her ways.
The Ari’i grew strong and multiplied. The Aven flew overhead and grew jealous of what the Ari’i had become. They coveted the things the Ari’i forged from the metals of the earth. They attacked the Ari’i and tried to take these things but Phanterra’s children were too strong and drove the Aven back into the skies.
The Ari’i continued to gather strength and knowledge and the Azerai grew jealous of the things the Ari’i had learned about mother Phanterra. They feared that the Ari’i would soon learn the ways of magic. The Azerai struck out but the Ari’i endured their attacks.

And so it was for Millennia. The Azerai meddled with magic and grew more and more dependent on it. They grew fat on their wealth and weak from their comforts. They started to call themselves the An’dar, “THE people” in the ancient tongue. They grew arrogant and festered a hatred of the Ari’i for we reminded them of their defeat. The Aven continued to explore the skies of Phanterra. They grew ever jealous of the Ari’i’s metals and gleaming things. They were not strong enough to take them so they flew elsewhere in search of these things. They guarded those they found and, high in the mountain peaks, built nests filled with them. They were afraid to leave their precious goods unguarded and soon became earth dwellers. The Aven gave up their freedom of flight for the chains of greed.

The An’dar, unable to defeat and subjugate the Ari’i, turned on the weak amongst their own kind. They drove them to toil. They stripped them of their honor and called them An’dar’vi, “Lesser People” in the ancient tongue. The An’dar’vi rose up against their masters but were defeated and driven into the wilderness. They came to the Ari’i and the Aven mutations, now known as Av’ian’dar, for help. Together, the three races attacked the An’dar. The Av’ian’dar resolve grew weak in the face of the An’dar magics and they quit the field fleeing in terror to the sanctuary of there lofty peaks. The An’dar’vi lost their courage and fled deep into the earth leaving the Ari’i alone on the field. The Ari’i were nearly destroyed by the remaining An’dar. Those that remained were taken as slaves and named Ga’vin, “Beastmen” in the ancient tongue.

The time of slavery outlasted the An’dar themselves. The An’dar mixed with strange beings not of Phanterra called the An’fa’dar. Their children, known as Elves, soon replaced the An’dar as the Ga’vin’s masters. Freedom became unknown to the Ga’vin. All gave their loyalty to their masters. They would hunt and wage war at their keeper’s bidding.

A leader rose up amongst the Ga’vin and reminded them what it was like to be free. His name was Gush T’leck and the Ga’vin called him Father. Strongest amongst the Ga’vin, he stirred within them what they had forgotten. Primal and dark feelings. Feelings of strength and honor. Feelings of freedom. The Ga’vin rose up against their captors killing all who opposed them. As the cities of their captors burned, the Ga’vin began to chant, first low and deep but then with increasing vigor. Their shackles and bonds were thrown into the fires and they circled and chanted. They forgot themselves as they circled the flame and in the flame they joined, first one and then many. In their zeal they danced with the flame and earned their scars, showing their new found freedom.

It was after the flames died down and the food was gone that the Ga’vin set upon the great walk; It was a journey to find a land of their own; A journey to find a place to rebuild and reconnect with what it meant to be Ga’vin, to be the children of Phanterra. This journey is known to the Ga’vin as An’Mag’Dar’Errom, The Great Walk. Not much is known of this time. We do know that it was here that the Ga’vin reveled in their new found freedom, instincts, and power.
The time of the great journey ended when the Ga’vin found a continent untouched by the hands of the younger races, a continent that they could make their own. They called this new land Ari’i’dar, the land of the Ari’i. Their numbers grew and grew. With huge numbers of shock troops hungry for battle, the Ga’vin spread across the continent killing or dominating the native inhabitants. It was out of these times of conquest that the Ga’vin caste system began to develop. Ga’vin raised themselves up through the castes by proving their worth in battle and challenging those above them. Soon, the Ga’vin dominated the entire continent and with no outside enemies to fight and the growing hunger to improve one’s caste, the Ga’vin soon fell into civil war.

Their struggles transformed the ground into an ever changing landscape of muck and battle as each Ga’vin shaman and war wizard tried to carve out his own empire as Father, from the chaos around him. Their numbers were so great that no one Ga’vin was able to meet and challenge all those of the same caste in order to prove his superiority, and conflict was rampant. At birth Ga’vin were born into the slums that were the only town left after armies moved across the land. If they lived long enough, at puberty each Ga’vin would enter the fire and follow in the footsteps of his predecessors. Those with the cunning and strength, which the Ga’vin prized among their soldiers, earned great honors and collected the bones of many enemies to adorn themselves with. The rare Ga’vin who lived through a decade of service went back to the slums to raise huge litters of children, some of whom might live long enough to follow in the war-like footsteps of their forebears.
Taki

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: [Written] Ga'Vin Background Info

Post  tearin4242 on Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:20 pm

I am glad to be here, should have been here sooner.

Ok...back in the day we all had races and mine was the Gavin so I can tell you everything, especially the CARPS history is not historically correct except for what Taki has which looks like an extrapolation of bits and pieces of what I wrote.

The part I had was
"A leader rose up amongst the Ga’vin and reminded them what it was like to be free. His name was Gush T’leck and the Ga’vin called him Father. Strongest amongst the Ga’vin, he stirred within them what they had forgotten. Primal and dark feelings. Feelings of strength and honor. Feelings of freedom. The Ga’vin rose up against their captors killing all who opposed them. As the cities of their captors burned, the Ga’vin began to chant, first low and deep but then with increasing vigor. Their shackles and bonds were thrown into the fires and they circled and chanted. They forgot themselves as they circled the flame and in the flame they joined, first one and then many. In their zeal they danced with the flame and earned their scars, showing their new found freedom.

It was after the flames died down and the food was gone that the Ga’vin set upon the great walk; It was a journey to find a land of their own; A journey to find a place to rebuild and reconnect with what it meant to be Ga’vin, to be the children of Phanterra. This journey is known to the Ga’vin as An’Mag’Dar’Errom, The Great Walk. Not much is known of this time. We do know that it was here that the Ga’vin reveled in their new found freedom, instincts, and power.
The time of the great journey ended when the Ga’vin found a continent untouched by the hands of the younger races, a continent that they could make their own. They called this new land Ari’i’dar, the land of the Ari’i. Their numbers grew and grew. With huge numbers of shock troops hungry for battle, the Ga’vin spread across the continent killing or dominating the native inhabitants. It was out of these times of conquest that the Ga’vin caste system began to develop. Ga’vin raised themselves up through the castes by proving their worth in battle and challenging those above them. Soon, the Ga’vin dominated the entire continent and with no outside enemies to fight and the growing hunger to improve one’s caste, the Ga’vin soon fell into civil war"

I am letting you know which part was mine so you have a good idea how their society is

The part missing was GaVin Society which i will put together in another post labeled such.

tearin4242

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top